Insulinde

The rehousing of evacuees was coordinated from this office building.

This spot is on the dividing line between the part of the Zorgvliet development that was demolished and a section that survived.

In March 1941, a German-style state radio was launched in the Netherlands. It was called the ‘Nederlandsche Omroep’. On 1 April it began broadcasting its own news service, the ‘Berichtendienst Nederlandschen Omroep’. This usurped the functions of the pre-war news agency called the Algemeen Nederlands Persbureau or ANP. Villa Insulinde (R.J. Schimmelpennincklaan 3), a combined residential and office property built in 1915-1917, was requisitioned to accommodate it.

When the German occupation authorities began the construction of the Atlantic Wall and large parts of the coastal zone of The Hague and South-Holland were cleared of their populations, the radio news service moved to Hilversum. Villa Insulinde then became the offices of the regional evacuation service for South-Holland, which was responsible for rehousing the evacuees.  

After the liberation, the return of the evacuees was also coordinated from this building. 

PictureR.J. Schimmelpennincklaan 3 now. Michiel1972 / CC
Appartment building Zorgvliet

Appartment building Zorgvliet, Alexander Gogolweg, 1928. The Hague City Archives

R.J. Schimmelpennincklaan in 1943

R.J. Schimmelpennincklaan in 1943. The Hague City Archives

Afbraak Schimmelpennincklaan

Demolition of Schimmelpennincklaan, 1943. A.E. Ament / The Hague City Archives

Schimmelpennincklaan, 1945

Anti-tank barriers at mayor De Monchy's house, 1945. The Hague City Archives

ShareThis