Martelaren van Gorcumkerk

This church was relocated.

The original Kerk van de Heilige Martelaren van Gorcum was designed by architect Nicolaas Molenaar Sr. (1850-1930), who was well-known for such Neo-Gothic church buildings. It was built in 1925 and stood just south of the site of today’s Museon, until it was demolished in 1943.  

In the post-war reconstruction plans produced by city architect W.M. Dudok (1884-1974), the church was resurrected as a meeting place and, as a result of changes in the pre-war street plan, relocated here. The architect of the new church was Nicolaas Molenaar Jr. (1892-1973), son and disciple of the original architect.

The stained glass window is a souvenir of the original building. Opened in 1956, the church is one of the last surviving examples of the architect’s work. It is no longer in use as a church. 

PictureDe Kerk van de Heilige Martelaren van Gorcum nu
The previous church, 1926

The previous church, 1926. The Hague City Archives

Demolition of the church, 1943

Demolition of the church, 1943. The Hague City Archives

Demolition of the church

View from the old church to the location on which the new church would be located after the War, 1943. J. Ketting, The Hague City Archives

Stadhoudersplantsoen with the new church

Stadhoudersplantsoen with the new church, 1958. The Hague City Archives

Temporary buildings in the anti-tank ditch zone

Temporary buildings in the anti-tank ditch zone. Left: the temporary church building in 1949. The Hague City Archives

Interior of the church

Interior of the church c. 1960. E.M. van Ojen / The Hague City Archives

ShareThis