Ver Huell bench

The survival of this bench is not just a matter of luck.

This seat is a monument to aristocratic alderman H.A.C. Ver Huell, but he never got the chance to use it to enjoy the view of the lake, which was dug on his initiative as part of the recreation of the Scheveningen Woods. He died just before the monument was unveiled in 1881. For many years after that, the Ver Huell bench and the other waterside seat (the Cremer bench) were popular places for the many walkers in the area to rest their feet. In the Second World War, however, the lake became part of an anti-tank ditch and the whole area was blocked off by dragon’s teeth and angled iron stakes. By then, however, the benches had been carefully dismantled and safely stored away.

Since 1953, the Scheveningen Woods have been bisected by a multi-lane highway called the Professor B.M. Teldersweg. In 1956 the two benches were reinstalled, in slightly different positions but still overlooking the lake, which is now larger and different in shape from before the war. The view from the Ver Huell bench now includes two war memorials.

PictureRoel Wijnants / CC
Cremer bench and Ver Huell bench

Cremer bench and Ver Huell bench. The Hague City Archives

Ver Huell bench, c. 1900

Ver Huell bench, c. 1900. The Hague City Archives

Cremerweg during WW 2

Atlantikwall at Cremerweg. The Hague City Archives

Lake 1943

Digging the anti-tank ditch at the lake, 1943. The Hague City Archives

Lake1943

The lake in June 1943. Zaaier / The Hague City Archives

Scheveningse Bosjes / Scheveningen Woods in 1945

Scheveningse Bosjes / Scheveningen Woods in 1945. Schilperoort / The Hague City Archives

Lake in 1945

The lake in 1945. H.F. van Schouwen / The Hague City Archives

ShareThis