Scheveningseweg

Welcome to the terrace of Hôtel de la Promenade!

This used to be a very busy spot in fine weather, when walkers in the Scheveningen Woods mingled with hotel guests on the terrace of the Hôtel de la Promenade (built in 1877).

During the Second World War, guests and walkers were replaced by members of the German military who were billeted in the hotel. At the junction of Scheveningseweg and Johan de Wittlaan (then called Stadhouderslaan) there was a checkpoint and gateway to the German militarised zone in Scheveningen (‘Fortress Scheveningen’). Anti-tank barriers were constructed and a bunker was built behind the hotel. Part of the Scheveningen Woods was destroyed to create a clear field of fire and much of the remaining woodland was pillaged for firewood – a risky enterprise, given the landmines that dotted the area.

By the time the city was liberated, Hôtel de la Promenade was little more than a ruin.

Around 1970, a new hotel was built a short distance away. The Scheveningen Woods had been replanted in 1947 and by 1970 the area was as verdant as ever. 

PictureThe hotel now
 Hôtel de la Promenade

Hôtel de la Promenade, c. 1900. The Hague City Archives

Celebrating 125 years of independency on at Hôtel de la Promenade

Celebrating 125 years of independency on at Hôtel de la Promenade, 1938. S. Oppelaar / The Hague City Archives

Installation ofAnti-tank barriers at Hôtel de la Promenade

Installation of Anti-tank barriers at Hôtel de la Promenade, 1943. Zaaier / The Hague City Archives

Anti-tank barriers at Scheveningseweg

Anti-tank barriers. The Hague City Archives

Hôtel de la Promenade, access to Scheveningen Fortress

Hôtel de la Promenade with access to Scheveningen Fortress just after the War. N.J. Duin / The Hague City Archives

Hôtel de la Promenade, access to Scheveningen Fortress

Hôtel de la Promenade with access to Scheveningen Fortress just after the War. Willem Wissink / The Hague City Archives

After the demolition of Hôtel de la Promenade

After the demolition of Hôtel de la Promenade, May 1947. The building on the photograph is Villa Boschhoek. Nederlandsch Fotobureau / The Hague City Archives

Teldersweg and Villa Boschhoek

After-war Johan de Wittlaan and B.M. Teldersweg with the former Villa Boschoek. The Hague City Archives

On the terrace, c,1955

On the terrace, c,1955. Ed van Wijk / CC

ShareThis