These public gardens were initially a residential area.

These gardens are in an area where all the streets have flower names. Before the Second World War, there were similar streets of 1920s housing here too. They were demolished on the orders of the German occupation authorities to make way for the Atlantic Wall. The Haagse Beek watercourse, which ran along Sportlaan, was turned into a zigzag anti-tank ditch 10 metres deep and 27 metres wide. The houses immediately surrounding the resulting no man’s land (including the entire Vogelwijk) were evacuated and the municipal authorities arranged for the residents to be rehoused elsewhere. People with economic ties to the city or surrounding area remained in the district, while the rest were accommodated in other parts of the country. The Red Cross Hospital, dating from 1925, was also demolished. The contents were transported on fairground vehicles to the city centre, where they were installed in the Oudemannenhuis (former home for impoverished elderly men) in the Om en Bij. The patients followed.

The hospital reappeared in W.H. Dudok’s post-war reconstruction plans, but in a slightly different location.


Corner of Goudenregenstraat and Begoniastraat, c. 1925. The Hague City Archives

Rode Kruisziekenhuis

Hospital being demolished, Januar 1943. The Hague City Archives


Goudenregenstraat just after the war. L.H. Zieck / The Hague City Archives

Demolition of Goudenregenstraat

Demolition of Goudenregenstraat, 1943. The Hague City Archives

Allied soldiers and civilians

Allied soldiers and civilians at Goudenregenstraat, May 1945. C. Looije / Demolition of Goudenregenstraat


Goudenregenstraat, July 1945. The Hague City Archives