This church was relocated
The original Kerk van de Heilige Martelaren van Gorcum (Martyrs of Gorkum Church) was designed by architect Nicolaas Molenaar Sr. (1850-1930), who was well-known for such Neo-Gothic church buildings. It was built in 1925 and stood just south of the site of today’s Museon, until it was demolished in 1943.
In the post-war reconstruction plans produced by city architect W.M. Dudok (1884-1974), the church was resurrected as a meeting place and, as a result of changes in the pre-war street plan, relocated here. The architect of the new church was Nicolaas Molenaar Jr. (1892-1973), son and disciple of the original architect.
The stained glass window is a souvenir of the original building. Opened in 1956, the church is one of the last surviving examples of the architect’s work. It is no longer in use as a church.