bunker

Bunkers in the dunes

The Oostduinpark was the site of the German Marine Seeziel-Batterie Scheveningen Nord: a bunker complex including around eighty buildings, ranging from an S414 fire control post to a kitchen, storerooms, latrines and a sauna. After the war the bunkers were cleared and either sealed off or buried under sand. Some were taken over by the Dutch army. They have proved to be an ideal habitat for bats, making them valuable for nature conservation as well as in terms of cultural heritage.

S414 fire control post

During the war, Scheveningen was flanked by two large bunker complexes equipped with anti-aircraft guns and artillery to attack enemy planes and ships. These batteries were commanded from the S414 fire control post, where soldiers kept watch and calculated the positions of enemy ships and planes so that the aim of the guns could be adjusted. The bunkers were of standard design, making it easy to calculate the amount of concrete, steel and manpower required to build them.

Seyss-Inquart and Clingendael

The Reichskommissar (head) of the Nazi-occupied Netherlands between 1940 and 1945 was an Austrian lawyer called Arthur Seyss-Inquart. He lived on the Clingendael estate. In 1943 most government departments moved from The Hague to places inland, like Hilversum and Utrecht. Seyss-Inquart remained in the city, as a symbol of unflinching German authority. To protect his headquarters, a second high-security militarised zone (StĆ¼tzpunktgruppe Clingendael) was created, defended by its own anti-tank ditches and bunkers.